2011 Season - "Fables and Legends"
The 2011 Festival, "Fables and Legends” (June 2-13) explored some of the most famous folk tales from Jewish lore as told through music for film and theater.
Highlights included a screening of the 1920 German classic silent film “The Golem” with live score, and rarely heard incidental music to the biblical play “Jacob and Rachel” and the Yiddish play “The Dybbuk”, performed by actors in new English translations and arrangements.
Live Audio Samples (excerpts):
Ben Steinberg: Three Songs
Damian Bursill-Hall, flute
Gretchen Van Hoesen, harp
Marylene Gingras-Roy, viola
Joel Engel: The Dybbuk Suite
Ron Samuels, clarinet
Daniel Andai and Laura Motchalov, violins
Marylene Gingras-Roy, viola Aron Zelkowicz, cello
John Moore, bass George Willis, percussion
- Top 10 Classical Music 2011
- Jewish Music Fest performances continue to amaze
- Review: Inspired performances highlight Pittsburgh Jewish Music Festival concert
- Pittsburgh Jewish Music Festival draws inspiration from fables
- 'The Golem' adds black magic to Jewish music festival
- Lore, legends focus of Festival
- Be afraid, be very afraid
- Pittsburgh Jewish Music Festival 2011